Tuesday, December 24, 2013
Christmas Eve 2013
Well... it's finally that time again. Doesn't seem like Christmas time has made it again already...lol We have finally gotten a little tree that we found growing alongside the banks of the pond trimmed and decorated... ready for presents to be under the tree. :) Just put a ham in the oven and already have the sausage balls ready for breakfast in the morning.
I made a rather large batch this year because the boys just love them so much that sausage balls go really fast around here.... lol I wrapped presents last night while everyone was asleep. Now with the tree decorated, (only took a few minutes for us to
decorate the tree), I can begin setting things under it. I added several of the light bulb ornaments that I have been working on lately. I had planned to list them on ebay, but due to some difficulties the past few months.... never got around to getting them listed on there. I always try to get all of my holiday items that I plan to list on there ready in plenty of time to list, but this was the first year that that didn't go as planned. Good thing it... I can have them ready for listing next holiday season... a jump start on my holiday listings for 2014. :)
I plan to read the boys a holiday story... then hot chocolate and off to bed. But first.... I think I will fix enchiladas for dinner. Lately, I've really been into fixing casseroles and such. For our family, they're not only quick and easy, but makesw cleaning the kitchen up the night a cinch. I have to say that I really like the Mexican Cornbread Casserole right now. It's so good... there are never any leftovers when I make it.
I still plan to make some dressing using some of the homemade broth I made at Thanksgiving and froze in the freezer. I always save broth from what I am cooking for user later, by freezing. Even vegetable broth is great to cook with. Here's my recipe for my homemade dressing:
1 Pan Cornbread (can either be fresh or frozen, as I always freeze any left over)
1 Tablespoon Ground Sage
1 Small Minced Onion
2 Pinches Salt
A Little Black Pepper
1 Can Chicken, Turkey, or Vegetable Broth (Or you can use frozen broth)
2 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Celery
2 Hard Boiled Eggs, Sliced & Chopped
Spray the bottom of your baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Preheat the oven to 375' degrees; Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir well. Make sure to see if you need to add more sage before you pour the mixture into the baking dish, because depending on your taste, you may want to add more sage. Place the backing dish into the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is a golden brown color on the top. Serve with cranberry sauce and any choice of entrees or casseroles... and don't forget the giblet gravy... lol This is always a huge hit with our family and like most of the casseroles and dressing I make... it goes quickly.
I already have a pie ready, that I made 2 nights ago, from some cookies for the crust and cream cheese and cool whip with crushed cookies added to the filling mixture. I added some extra crumbs to the top.... It is awesome.... a quick little cheesecake made in just a few minutes. Since all of the ingredients were on sale, I was able to make 2 pies at once. I also coupon and I was able to get enough items to make a great holiday feat without spending a bundle. I will have to talk more about that in a future post.
Well... off to get things prepped for cooking in the morning. I plan to do the same thing that I did for Thanksgiving.... cook everything in the morning. Only took 3 hours and casseroles, desserts, and main courses were all ready. We mad some really good time that day.. first time that I had ever tried this method, and since it worked out very well, I plan to do this every year. Everyone take care, stay safe and have fun!!! Merry Christmas o all of ya'll!! May God Bless!!! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment