Hello everyone!!! I'm happy to be back here to my blog... sorry for the long hiatus, but there has been lots of things happening the past 4-5 months that have kept me elsewhere. I've really missed working on my blog and writing on here. Around here, we have been busy gardening and so that means that canning season won't be far off. Actually.... I've already gotten an early start on it all.
I have been busily canning potatoes, squash, and pinto beans using the pressure canner. Yes, I know someone is probably thinking... "A pressure canner?? Really?? Who still uses those things... let alone can food in jars." I get that a lot, but I simply have some old-fashioned views. Home-canning help sees us through the winter months, when vegetables that we tend to eat and enjoy alot may not be available at the store. It also helps you to have food when you hit a budget or job crisis.
Today, I have been working on some what I am hoping to be some very tasty pepper flavored hot sauce. I normally make my different than this, but we shall see how it all turns out. I normally pack the jars with whole peppers that have been washed well, and then pour hot vinegar in the jars.... cap with the lid and you're set. I have always been one to experiment with sauces and seasons that I use in gravies, soups, and stir-frys, so I had the idea of making some home-made hot sauce.
I finely ground up my peppers, 1 onion, a small pinch of canning salt, and 1-2 cups vinegar. I wanted to make a small batch to see how it turns out. It's already hot and tastes great... can't wait for the final results. Well... I hate to cut it short, but I need to go for now. I have several jars of potatoes and squash to take out of the pressure cooker, that need to be placed on the cooling racks. I will post again later on, so until next post.... May God bless!!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment