Monday, June 10, 2013

Is The Value Of Handwriting Skills Being Ignored???

I think that the value of handwriting skills these days are just simply forgotten, due to major advances in the technological age of today. I have even seen several adults who told me that they had forgotten how to write, because they depend on their cell phone or tablet pc to type and text, rather than to physically write something down. The importance of handwriting is not even being stressed as much as it once was, in public schools these days, as several schools in many states use some form of technology in the classroom.


I love technology as much as the next person, but I think that it is very important to still take the time to physically write and practice handwriting. Penmanship still plays an important role in our society, such as when you have to sign and complete applications, contracts, or any other type of paper-work. Penmanship is still important despite the fast paced world of the ever evolving technology. I have even witnessed adults who had some very illegible handwriting, due to the fact that they depended so much on the electronic devices of today, that they really got to where they hated to write anything by hand.


I still do a great deal of handwriting and believe that penmanship will always have some role in the future of the world, despite whatever advances in technology may come along. It never hurts to pull out a pen, pencil, or any other writing utensil and write a note, or letter. I think that the technology of today has in some cases, made people lazy, in the fact that they have come to rely on their electronics so much. When asked to write a quick little letter (by hand, not typed) and mail it to someone, several people would tell you, "I can't, I don't have time" or "Wow... it's been so long, I'm not sure if I can still write by hand."


The reason that I know this to be true, is most of the people that I am around on a daily basis, either text with a cell phone or use some electronic device to "write" their letters, as opposed to sitting down and writing the "old-fashioned" way. Me, being a strong believer in doing things the "old-fashioned" way, thinks that handwriting skills are still necessary and important. I don't think that the need for handwriting will ever go away totally. Handwriting should not replaced, but should still be focused on, as there will always be a need for handwriting in one's lifetime somewhere down the line.


With so many people using the highly evolved technology of today, there could possibly be a time where future generations will not have known about handwriting and penmanship. There are already books that can be viewed and read on tablet pcs, so you don't have to have a physical book in front of you. Is it handier than having a physical book in front of you or collecting dust on a shelf? Yes. Will it make people use actual libraries less? It's quite a possibility. It's never safe to rule anything out at this point in time, because who knows what the next big thing in the world of technology will be.


Many people will think that modern types of electronics will or should replace doing everything by hand, such as handwriting. The modern types of electronics should not encourage people to write by hand less, but just about everywhere you go you will see people typing texts to someone. You will also see a majority of people using some sort of electronic device. No matter how the trends of the advanced technological age becomes, we will all, at some point, still have to do some sort of handwriting be hand, without the use of electronics. Perhaps, advancements in electronics and technology have been the downfall to much of the laziness of today's society.

unique styles

No comments:

Post a Comment