I have always loved to doing reports and writing. Although I have not been doing a lot of work on it over the course of the last few years, I have decided to get back into the swing of things and write. I have always wanted to write a book, but want to give it a try one of these days. I took a course in Creative Writing back in High School and really enjoyed it. Though I'm not much of a poet, I have done some poetry.
With us being new to home-schooling, I think that for me to get back to my writing roots would be a great way to help teach our children the basics of writing. Along the way they will be learning about spelling, phonics, sentence structure, and how to write various types of writings. I hope to gain their interest in writing as much I have always had.
I was always looking forward to the classes where we had to take thorough notes and write reports. I believe that I was the only person who was excited about writing reports. I even had some people, (they were kidding of course) offer to pay me to write their reports for them. I like to idea of writing about a random topic or a particular area of interest you happen to have a personal tie to.
I think learning about a wide variety of experiences from someone else's point of view, is often very exciting. Blogging is way to express your inner writer and totally be creative. I love the idea of that.... I have only recently gotten serious about my writing again, after not writing for many, many years.
Since summer is fast approaching, and that usually means that it won't be long until the next school year begins. With that in mind, I have already written out and planned a nice curriculum that we will be using. Since this is an especially difficult time for most people who are on budgets, home-school just makes more sense for us as a family.
I've prayed about making the decision on whether or not to home-school, and have debated for several years before. God finally heard my prayers and answered them, by leading me in the direction towards homeschooling our children. I have come to find that you do not have to spend a bundle on curriculums that you would only use short-term. Most of the catalogs that I looked at, were very pricey, so I began to research to see what I can use that is free and more budget-friendly for us to use.
There are so many great websites that are free for home-schoolers to use and it's hard to pick just one to go with, so I have decided that we will use a wide variety of all of them along the way. To make things even sweeter with saving you money on school supplies for your home-school budget, Dollar General and Dollar Tree, now both carry a nice variety of school supplies as well as teacher aides.
I think that the thing that I was most excited about was the fact that they had teaching time and teaching money counting aides, which was something that I was looking into for many years. I already had a book with crafting ideas for kids, which will also be something that we will be using.
It's a blessing to be able to be home with the boys all the time and be able to teach them how to read. I know some are saying.... "Well they won't get to interact with other kids their age", that is clearly not the case at all. There are local home-school groups that meet several times a month so that the children can do activities together and interact.
Some groups will even hold graduations, dances, field-trips, and proms. So, no, home-school children do not miss out on anything as most people believe. An added bonus of homeschooling is that you don't have to worry about bullying, drugs, peer-pressure, or any of the negatives that often occur at public schools.
For me, public school was not fun or enjoyable to say the very least. I experienced bullying, hecklers, and was jeered at more than I cared to be. For us, the choice to home-school was an easy one. There was no way in the world that I wanted out sons to have a similar experience that I did. What I endured made me get to the point that I actually dreaded going and in most cases hated to attend school at all.
The pros just outweighed the cons when making the final decision to home-school. When you home-school, you don't have to worry about doctor's excuses, book fees, or lunch money. You also don't have to worry about having to go and buy an entire new wardrobe for school or a large amount of school supplies that in most cases, the children never use anyway. I wasn't able to find any cons, because there are so many positives about home-schooling.
You can actually save money by home-schooling, plus, many colleges look forward to having home-schooled students attend, because they know that most home-schooled students have really good study habits. Also, home-schoolers get the chance to have more one-on-one time than that of their public school peers. So for us, home-schooling just makes sense, budget wise and convenience-wise.
Unlike many parents that I know, who have their children in public schools, I won't have to rush back home to be home by 1:30 or 2:00pm from grocery shopping, in order to be home before school lets out. The grocery shopping trip will also double as a math lesson and a reading lesson as well.
Also, I won't have to worry about the dangers of our sons ever having to ride a school bus to school. There have been so many accidents the past several years involving school buses, as well as some cases of children being hit by buses, while trying to board and get off of the bus. The very thought of them ever having to ride the school bus had me scared to pieces.... so much as I was prepared to drop them off and pick them up, had we chosen to go the public school route.
This is going to be an exciting experience for us as a family. I love to spend time with our son's and so this will be amazing. I look forward to spending time with our son's and having the chance to be their teacher as well. They are super excited about what we will be learning and have even enjoyed helping me with the lesson planning process.
Right now we are enjoying a slower-pace, because we know that when school starts, we will be very, very busy. Home-schooling, may not be for everyone, but it's something that we have prayed about for many years. Thank you God for allowing me to be able to be home with our children!! I know that by home-schooling, we will not be sorry about ever making that choice. Until next post..... May God bless!!
No comments:
Post a Comment